Congratulations are in order to the newly elected City of Richmond School Board ! Click on Maggie's face to remember WHY the citizens of Richmond elected you to be their representatives. And, before you are all officially sworn-in, take some time to decide what you want the legacy of your board's tenure to be. Start by making a 30-60-90-day plan. Will you take a stand on behalf of the children of Richmond? Will you make a difference in their lives? In other words, "what are you gonna do with your one and only life?"
So that you can be "boots-on-the ground" ready when you meet for the first time in January 2013, John R. Butcher and I ask that you request RPS Supt. Yvonne Brandon and staff to provide some complete answers (in plain English) to the following questions:
1. Who was responsible for getting Richmond’s math teachers prepared for the new (2012) math tests? Has that person been fired? If not, who is responsible for the decision to not fire and why has that person not been fired?
2. Who is responsible for getting Richmond’s math teachers prepared for this year’s math tests?
3. Who is responsible for getting Richmond’s teachers prepared for this year’s new English SOL tests?
4. How many empty seats does the RPS currently have? How many seats does RPS have in trailers. How long will it take to get rid of those trailers and close/consolidate facilities to eliminate 90% of the empty seats?
5. When will you have a zero-based budget for the Board’s consideration?
6. How long will it take to get Richmond’s math and reading SOL average scores equal to the State average at every grade level. What are the annual benchmarks we will meet until then? Who is responsible for meeting those benchmarks?
7. How long will it take to get Richmond’s 4-year cohort graduation rate up to the state average? What are the annual benchmarks we will meet until then? Who is responsible for meeting those benchmarks?
8. Who is responsible for getting Richmond into 100% compliance with CODE § 22.1-258 as to all part-day and full-day absences. When will that 100% compliance be achieved?