John Merrow has seen the light. Once you begin to doubt the testing regime, nothing ever looks the same again. The usual ed reform conversation begins to sound like “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?” You watch people discussing the data but it no longer makes sense. It once did, but no longer.
- In this post, he says there are four groups of people in the conversation about education today.
- The DeVos crowd wants to abandon public education.
- The reformers are locked into the mindset of No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top. They control the debate and their ideas are stale.
- The third group is uninformed and not interested.
- The fourth group is progressives, who are trying to imagine a different way to educate children, in which they learn with excitement and purpose.
John thinks of himself as a progressive. I do too.
Where do you stand?